BaseCam GPS IMU v.1.2
How it works: GPS IMU connects to any free UART port of the main controller, or common CAN bus*, and provides precise attitude and heading information, that can be used as a reference to correct the internal IMU sensor, solving its common problems: gyroscope drift, an affection of linear accelerations, drift caused by the changes in environmental temperature.
SimpleBGC32 system supports several mounting positions of external IMU sensor: on the stabilized platform, on the gimbal's arms, or on the frame. It allows choosing the most optimal position for a normal work of magnetometer and GNSS receiver, which are very sensitive to the environment.
With the flexible well-documented serial API this module can be used in a wide range of third-party applications, where precise AHRS/IMU functionality is needed (like robots, drones, survey, platform stabilization, and so on).
* CAN connection option will be implemented in the future with the firmware update. With this option, GPS IMU may be used as a main IMU sensor in the SBGC32 gimbal controllers having CAN bus support
Features of the Basecam GPS IMU v.1.2 Module
GNSS-antennafor a compact size, with the option of connecting an external GNSS receiver by the UART interface;
- Full set of navigation sensors: 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer, barometer (altimeter), GNSS receiver (concurrent Galileo, GLONASS, GPS / QZSS);
Powerful MCU running UKF for a sensor fusion at high rates;
- Thermal stabilization helps to keep high precision with the change of temperatures;
- Interfaces: UART, USB, CAN, I2C;
OnboardSD card for high-ratedata logging with actual date-timeinformation and flexible set of data to log, including logging of external data provided by the host controller;
- Backup rechargeable battery for GNSS hot start and
- Open serial API protocol allows using this sensor in third-party applications;
- The functionality will be constantly improved with the firmware updates;
Cost-effectivesolution compared to other GNSS-enabledsolutions on the market;
Full factory calibrations are made for the gyroscope and accelerometer. An easy-to-use magnetometer calibration procedure allows to get maximum performance by calibrating the magnetometer sensor after installation, to take into account a magnetic environment (soft- and hard-iron cancellation).
The advantage in version 1.2 compared to 1.0
- Fixed problems with the GNSS signal reception
- Better environment isolation (less temperature dependency)
- The backup battery is rechargeable
- Additional UART port for extended functionality
- Full factory calibrations made on special equipment
|Size of the enclosure||73×51×30 mm|
|Mounting holes||3 mm × 4|
||~400 mA to warm up, then ~150 mA (at room temperature)
|Working temperature range||−40…+85 °C
||1 sec. communication ready, 3 sec. first data ready
|SD card installed
To get the firmware, you will be asked to provide a device's S/N. Where to find it:
- USING SD CARD: you can find S/N in file "BOARD.INI" on the SD card 1. To access SD card, use a card reader or connect device to PC using USB cable, then hold the "mode" button for 4 seconds to mount it as a USB mass-storage device. Open "BOARD.INI" file in any text editor and copy S/N from the first line.
- USING SimpleBGC32 GUI: when GPS_IMU is connected to the gimbal by UART and configured as an "External IMU" role, connect GUI (v.2.70b2 and above) to the gimbal, open "External IMU" tab - "Show status.." dialog, then copy the device S/N to the clipboard 1.
After the firmware is downloaded and saved to a temporary file, there are two ways to upload it to the device:
- USING SD CARD: copy the downloaded file 'FWUPDATE.BIN' into the root directory of the SD card, connected as described above. When the file is copied, restart the device (re-connect power source or USB). LED will blink green several seconds during the firmware update, then device starts in a normal mode.
- USING SimpleBGC32 GUI: select the downloaded file in "Firmware update" dialog (available via "External IMU" tab - "Show status.." dialog - "FIRMWARE UPDATE…" button). An update takes around 3 minutes; do not disconnect USB during this process!
1) Device s/n has a format '0123xxxxxxxxxxxxEE'. If you see different format in file BOARD.INI - it's a known bug. To fix it, delete this file from SD card and restart device to let it creating file with the correct s/n.
Type your question or comment below. Answer will be sent at your e-mail within 24 hours on workdays.